Saturday, January 14, 2012

3 km Track Race

I was feeling very stiff before this race, particularly in my right hamstring. Jim tells me this is a sign that I have not been using my glutes properly. I did about three laps to try and loosen up but it didn't feel much better. With a moderate wind and hot day as well, I wasn't feeling confident of a good time. When the race started I went wide on the first bend to get to the front and it wasn't long before I was passed by young Stuart. I managed to stay within around 100 m of him throughout the whole race which was pleasing. With many of our officials still away on holidays there was no official judging of the race but three people did make notes to give us feedback after the race. My husband gave me a bent knee warning on lap 2 and my former coach did the same on lap three. I was pleased to get to the start/finish for 1 km in 5:42 and to complete 2 km in 11:34. Those 2 km sprints are paying off! I completed the 3 km in 17:21 which was 9 seconds faster than my last 3 km race in which I was DQ'd. The feedback from each of the unofficial judges was that they would have given me a red card which was disappointing.

Jim tells me I am leaning too far forward from the ankles. I am to concentrate on standing upright and holding my backstep to lengthen my stride. I will work hard on this the next few weeks since I really want to have a legal technique.


I haven't had a chance to write up my last couple of training sessions so here they are:

Thursday 12 January - 3 x 2 km (3 min rest) + 2 x 1 km (2 min rest)

I have found that I struggle to do training sessions on four consecutive days and I was feeling a bit stiff this day. I wasn't looking forward to this session but I was determined to do it and have a rest day Friday prior to the race on Saturday. I did a warm up of around a km at a pretty slow pace and was resigned to the fact that I may not manage much better than 7 min/km. There was a reasonably strong wind blowing for my first and 3rd 2 km. To my surprise I managed an okay pace and finished the 8 km in 49:58 for an average pace of 6:15/km and average HR of 155 bpm.

Lap times were: 12:30, 12:07, 12:58, 6:15, 6:09


Wednesday 11 January - 12 km Training Walk

This was my first day back at work after the Christmas break. My yoga class restarted today at 11:15 - 12:00 and I decided to go out to walk straight after that to save getting changed twice. (It did mean working until 6:30 pm after taking a 3 hour break). I felt pretty good after stretching out some stiffness in the yoga class and tried to walk at a steady pace and to concentrate on a good technique. The wind was very strong so I thought my average pace of 7:26 /km was not bad. My average heart rate was 135 bpm.


No comments:

Post a Comment