Tuesday, January 17, 2012

8 km Training Walk (including 5 km race)

I had intending walking 1.5 - 2 km prior to this race but I was a bit late leaving work and only had time for 1 km. My right leg was sore - right at the top of the hamstring. It has been sore since about Thursday. I only managed around 6:50 for that warm up km and wondered if I'd even manage to keep up with Jackie who is 65 and has a PB of 32:15. When the race started I seemed to manage to get a bit more lift and that meant my leg was not hurting as much. I tried to forget about pace and to concentrate on pushing off my back toe. I think I largely achieved this. My 5 km time was an unmemorable 31:28. I had a quick drink then set off for the remaining 2 km. I wasn't pushing myself but finished the 8 km in 53:02 for an average pace of 6:37 and an average HR of 153.

Philip will massage my leg tonight but I will try to get a physio appointment in the next day to have it checked out before the two races this weekend. (The second race is on Monday which is part of our weekend since it is on Wellington Anniversary Day - a public holiday)


No comments:

Post a Comment