Thursday, January 5, 2012

20 km Training Walk

I did not feel good about this walk before I went out, probably due to the slow speed of my sprints the previous day. There was a strong wind blowing and my muscles were feeling stiff. I started the walk from home which means up and down terrain for the first few km. Once on the flat I was only managing around 8:15 per km and that was with the wind behind me! I tried to relax and to concentrate on my core but things didn't improve. My glutes were feeling fatigued. As I did not want to turn and walk back into the wind I decided to walk into Newtown and to catch a bus home from there. I racewalked for 13.5 km at an average speed of 8:13 but could not racewalk for around 500 m up the hill into Newtown.

A Khandallah bus went past just before I was able to cross the road to get to the bus stop. The next bus was not due for 25 min so I decided to keep walking until the bus was due. My total distance walked was 16.86 km. I am surprised at how slow I was. I have walked faster and felt better in the second half of a marathon than today's effort. The Garmin site is down at the moment - probably a sign that posting my log for this walk is not a good idea.

Wednesday 4 January - 6 x 1 km with 2 min recovery

I probably should have done the 20 km today but I wasn't ready to walk until 5 pm and didn't want to be getting back after 7:30 pm so I chose the shorter but more intense speed session. There was a strong wind blowing which did limit the speed I was able to achieve (along with the 22 km walked in the past two days). I found this session harder than I expected to. On a good day I would expect to average around 5:50/km but only managed 6:23 with an average HR of 144.

6:23, 6:38, 6:25, 6:13, 6:22, 6:19

6 x 1 km with 2 min recovery

Tuesday 3 January - 10 km with 2 x 5 min @ 10 km pace

We drove into town at around 4:30 pm to do this walk around the waterfront. There were people everywhere which made finding a path to walk quite tricky at times. I decided to do my fast efforts at 2 km and at 6 km, the latter after I had turned and had a tail wind. I was feeling pretty good and was pleased with my average of 6:39 min /km. My average heart rate was 150 bpm.

10 km with 2 x 5 min @ 10 km pace

No comments:

Post a Comment