Thursday, January 19, 2012

3 km, 2 km, 3 x 1 km

Theoretically I should be able to average 6 min /km on this workout. My right leg is still sore and the wind was reasonably strong so I figured that I would be happy with anything better than 6:30. I did a warm up of around 1 km before starting my watch. When the first 500 m took 3:29 I thought perhaps I should turn back at the 1.5 km mark and walk half of this lap with the wind behind me. The second 500 was 3:16 and the third 3:10 so I decided it would be okay to do the full 3 km into the wind. The average pace on the first 3 km was 6:21 and I figured I would be able to significantly reduce the average over the remaining laps which largely had the wind behind me. I walked slowly into the wind on the rest periods.

The 2 km lap took 12:20 but I seemed to flag after that. The 1 km laps were 6:21, 6:22 and 6:41. The last lap included turning a couple of times and walking 150 m into the wind. I was concentrating hard on pushing on the back foot and seemed to loose my sense of pace with the new technique. On seeing my pace on the first 500 m of laps 6 and 7, I was able to do the second 500 m 8 - 20 sec faster.

My overall average pace was 6:22 min/km and average HR 155 bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment