Tuesday, November 1, 2011

5 km Waterfront Race

My legs had been feeling really tight and I had a big lunch so I wasn't planning to go out hard today. I thought that a time under 32:30 would be okay and to go under 31:30 would be good. I felt comfortable once the race started and tried hard to keep my left arm in close to my body to prevent it coming across my chest. I did push myself reasonably well as was shown by my heart rate and I was pleased with my time of 31:08.


Sunday 30 October - Long Distance Championships

I set the alarm for 5:45 am and got up to make porridge for breakfast. I was glad of the 9:00 am start since I like to have around 3 hours between a meal and a race. (I'm sure the race started at 8:00 am the last three years). I did a good warm up and felt okay about the event but not confident since my left calf was still very tight even after the great massage that Nyle gave it the night before.

There was only a narrow space on the start line that had the mat for the transponders and that was reserved for Graeme who was walking the 50 km. I decided to hang back even though the seconds to the start would be lost since the outcome for me would not come down to seconds. My plan was to race conservatively and to cover the first 10 km in around 65 min. My first lap was 6:12 - a little faster than planned but a comfortable pace. I was trying hard to stand upright and walk as we had practised the night before. The first penalties when on the board at around the 4 km mark and I was pleased to see that my number was not among them. I did not receive any warnings or penalties in the first 7 km and I lapped the only other walker in my age group in around the 8th lap. I was aware that my pace was starting to slow considerably and my legs felt like they were tying up. I received 3 or 4 warnings in that 8th lap. At the start of the 10th lap I saw that I had 2 bent knee penalties. As I was already tightening up I knew that it would be a big ask for me to complete the 20 km so I tried to slow my pace a little more and to concentrate on my technique. Unfortunately the damage had already been done and I was pulled off the course opposite the start/finish line at about 9.7 km. I was almost glad that I was not allowed to continue for the full 20 km although I would have done so if permitted. The non-championship walkers were allowed to continue whilst disqualified but I did know this would not be the case for those entered in the championship. I have pointed out that this is the reason I did not enter the nationals in Dunedin in March since I was not prepared to pay considerable cost to travel to an event I may not be allowed to complete. I'm hoping the rule might be relaxed as it is in our local events where DQ'd walkers continue and receive a result in the non-championship category.

I am encouraged that my first 7 km did not attract the judges attention and hopeful that as I become stronger in my improved technique that I will be able to get through a 20 km event. I am seriously considering going to nationals in Auckland next year in order to get before the judges for another 20 km event.

Although disappointed for myself I was happy to see Nyle achieve a PB of almost a minute and automatic selection in the New Zealand team. Her achievements are an inspiration. I liked the Palmerston North course and would definitely like to enter the event again next year.

I didn't think to turn off my watch for 5 or more minutes after I was pulled off so the last lap doesn't give a proper indication of my pace. I chose not to wear my heart rate monitor strap as this sometimes chaffs and is inclined to slip down. I considered that the possible distraction was a risk.


Saturday 29 October - easy walk with stride outs

Sue, Nyle and I went down to the track on Saturday evening before dinner for a brief walk. Philip came too so that he could take some video footage. I asked Nyle to check my technique as Jim had told me. We began with 2 or 3 easy laps before turning on the watches. Nyle gave me a few pointers and Philip noticed an immediate improvement. I am hoping it can be seen in these video clips. We then did 3 laps with a 100 m stride out in each and then I continued to do do another 3 or 4 easy laps after that.







No comments:

Post a Comment