Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A new PB for 5 km

The day started out a bit drizzly but by the time the race was due to start it was sunny with a moderate southerly wind. All my PB times for this event have been achieved when the wind is a southerly - probably due to the extra help that provides for most of the last km of the race. My hamstrings were a little stiff when walking from work to the race venue but over all I felt pretty good. At the start of the race I was keeping close behind John who often finishes around a minute ahead of me. I passed one of the slower runners in the first two hundred metres that I wouldn't normally pass until the 1 km mark. I was feeling so good in the first half that I was able to catch up with John and to walk beside or slightly ahead of him for some of the way. I was pleased to reach halfway in 14:33 - this was probably at least 15 seconds faster than I have managed previously.

John pulled away from me after the halfway point but I was able to stay in touch and to narrow his lead when I picked up the tail wind for the last km. I knew it was likely to be a pb time and was very happy to break my old time by 20 seconds to finish in 29:10. I wouldn't have thought this was possible 6 months ago. Even though the event is not judged I felt my technique was pretty good and will work towards a judged sub-30 minute time the next occasion there is a 5 km race at the track. My heart rate was reasonably steady and rose a bit with the extra effort in the second half to average 162 bpm.

A couple of hours after the race my legs feel really good but my toes remain sore. I would really struggle to stand on tip toes at the moment. I am hoping it is because I am now getting push of the toes that wasn't happening before and that it will settle down as this part of my body becomes conditioned.


Monday 28 November - 5 km stretch out

I was keen to get out today to check out how my legs would go after yesterday's race. The weather was forecast to deteriorate so I decided to go out at midday whilst it was still fine, albeit with a strong gusty wind. I forgot that I had taken the autolap off for my races at the weekend so I don't have any lap breakdown. I didn't push myself and was happy to average under 7:30 min/km which was my goal for the session. I completed 5 km in 36:52 at an average pace of 7:22 with an average HR of 117 bpm.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your new PR! Jim's training seems to suit you well :). Good luck in your continuing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete