Saturday, November 26, 2011

North Island Masters - 3 km Track Race

Friday 25 November

The race was scheduled to start at 6:30 pm so I left work at around 4:45 to make sure I arrived at the track in plenty of time. My legs were feeling very stiff and I knew it would take around 2 km for me to warm up. The forecast was for gale force winds but fortunately they didn't seem any worse than usual and the weather was fine and sunny but not too hot.

My goal was to get through without any penalties. Time was not that important but I was hoping to go under 18:30. I was the only competitor in my age group. I was happy with my start and settled into 2nd place for the first 200 m. I tried to maintain 2:24 lap pace (6 min/km). Vanessa (W45) passed me at the start/finish line but never got more than 20 m in front of me. I could hear a walker close behind me and David finally passed me after 3.5 laps. I received a warning with just over two laps to go but did not see my number on the board at all. I crossed the line in 18:01. I was pleased with the consistent lap times showing on the recording sheet. We had visitors at home so I wasn't able to stay for official results or a final check of the judging sheet but the chief judge did tell me 'You were fine'. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment