Thursday, October 27, 2011

4 x 1 Km

This was the last training session before Sunday's race. My legs had been feeling a little stiff today and my ankle a little sore following the tennis I played on Tuesday night. I had a 1 pm meeting scheduled so I couldn't walk until after walk. The wind has been really strong this week but fortunately it had abated today and conditions were very pleasant. I figured that 85% effort was around 6:45 min/km but perhaps I should have been trying to judge that by heart rate. I was feeling pretty comfortable so was very surprised to see the HR recorded in the first 500m. I certainly didn't feeling under any cardio stress and can't explain the high readings.

I keep walking slowly during the rest periods which I reduced to 2 min as I didn't feel I needed a longer break.

km 1 6:29
km 2 6:36
km 3 6:27
km 4 6:31

Avg pace 6:30/km, avg HR 155 bpm


Tuesday 25 October, 5 km Kickdown

I agreed to fill in for tennis doubles interclub on Tuesday night so I couldn't do the regular waterfront race. I decided to do a 5 km walk at lunchtime and to try to increase the speed over each km. The wind was strong and my start was very slow but my increase for the 2nd km was a bit too much. I managed another small increase in the 3rd km but dropped back for the next one. I went hard for the last km and achieved a good pace.

km 1 7:15
km 2 6:24
km 3 6:22
km 4 6:30
km 5 6:04

Avg pace 6:31/km, avg HR 148 bpm


Tennis was enjoyable despite (or maybe because of) the unpredictable gale-force winds. I had one narrow loss and one win.

No comments:

Post a Comment