Friday, October 7, 2011

Tuesday - Friday

Friday Podiatrist

I made an appointment to see John to pick up some orthotics. When I showed him my new shoes he was surprised at the lack of support in them and not surprised to hear about my aggravated Achilles. I had depended on the advice of the assistant at the shoe shop who sounded knowledgeable but who actually wasn't. He told me he had given me their most stable shoe but John thought it was probably worse than the New Balance walking shoes I was replacing.

I went back to the shop and talked to the manager and now have a pair of Brookes shoes that are a lot firmer. My Achilles felt better in the walk back to the train so let's hope these shoes do the trick. After my experience with the New Balance shoes I decided to buy from the Shoe Clinic who give a 30 day guarantee, even if you have worn the shoes out and about.

I am off to Canterbury tomorrow for 8 days so I may not have a chance to add to this blog for a while. Philip and I will walk the Banks Peninsular walkway on Sunday and Monday then we will head to a high country farm on Tuesday for a few days. We will be walking but are unlikely to get much race walking in.


Thursday 15 km

Sunday was meant to be 20 km but I only did 12 km so my aim today was to do the 20 km. I went to work early and headed out at about 4:30 pm. The cold southerly wind was there again so I decided to repeat a 2 km out and back loop along Oriental Parade and thus avoid walking directly into the wind. It was just as well I did this since when I got to 12 km I realised that my Achilles tendon was becoming too sore to walk much more on. I turned around and completed the 3 km back to work, giving me the 15 km total. I averaged 7:05 per km and would have been under 7 min if the sore ankle had not slowed me down. At least that was quite a bit better than on Monday.


Wednesday

I have a regular 45 min yoga class on Wednesday's now which I believe is very beneficial. It was my son's 19th birthday and I had invited people for dinner so there was not time for me to fit in a walk.


Tuesday 5km Waterfront Race

There was a strong cold southerly blowing and I was tired from the 27 km walked in the previous two days. I knew I would have a slow time and thought anything under 32 min would be okay. It was disappointing to hear from David Lonsdale (an A grade judge) that I was lifting at the start of the race. The event is not judged but I have been making a real effort to have good technique and I will go for a much slower start in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment