Monday, September 12, 2011

15 km Training Walk

Sunday 11 September

The weather forecast for Sunday wasn't good. I was half hoping it would be correct since I had put my name down to play in a tennis tournament and wasn't feeling all that keen. The morning was overcast but fine so I headed out to play tennis. The tennis was actually fun even if I was very rusty. We won our first match, narrowly lost the second in a tie breaker and were completely trounced in the third match. The rain came in just as we finished our tennis so I went home to do a few chores.

It was around 4:30 pm when I was ready to start my walk. I drove to the edge of town and walked to the waterfront and around the bays. I wore a backpack to carry my raincoat and some water. My coat went on a off a couple of times and I walked about a km before I realised my watch had clicked off sometime during the process. I turned it back on and decided to turn when it read 6.5 km. My speed was very slow from the start but it went from bad to worse. If it had not been an out and back walk, I'd have given up well before completing the full distance. I had real trouble staying upright, partly due to the gale force wind blowing in some parts of the walk but also due to tiredness after the race the previous day. I was glad of the coat and polyprop gloves I had carried with me because the weather deteriorated into cold, wet and windy conditions. At one point I was doused by a wave lapping over the sea wall.

This training really hurt but at least I now seem to be a bit more aware of whether I am straight or not. It was a relief to get back to my car and galling to find I had walked a few hundred meters too far. I'm glad the Garmin was mucked up because the information it would show was an embarrassment. (We could be talking 10 min per km at the end). It was interesting to walk through town just prior to the world cup rugby match between South Africa and Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment