Wednesday, August 10, 2011

80 min

Keen to try out my new Garmin watch, I got up early and caught the 6:30 train into town, dropped my gear off at work and headed out to walk. I didn't start the timer until I got to the waterfront because I wasn't sure I wanted to set the auto-pause whilst I was crossing the roads. (I should have done this because my last km looked very slow due to waiting at the lights).

The first couple of kms were very slow as I mucked around with the watch, trying to set some alarms. I needed to set some zones for these to work so decided I would do that on the computer when I got home. My speed remained pretty slow as I was concentrating on technique and had not recovered from my effort in the race the previous evening. My legs were not cooperating when I asked for more speed. It was interesting to see that my maximum heart rate only got to 139 bpm and averaged out at 116 bpm. Clearly there is room for much more effort on the cardio side of things.

I walked out to the 4.5 km marker then back to work. Only just over 10 km for the 80 min. I'll be looking for much more than that next time! I was pretty tired by the time I got to work and my glutes were sore so I think the effort wasn't too bad.



1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Don't overdue the butt tucking right now. It it very stressful for the butt and core and can really be fatiguing for the muscles. If it overfatigues it can make it a problem. So sometimes just vary during sessions, some time working on your butt, other times just your normal technique to give it a rest. Some sessions in the short term just walk, others just concentrate hard on the technique. That way too when you need to tuck the butt at times for races your muscles won't be too fatigue to do it. That'll squeeze you past the judges until you master it. It can be a process.

    Great to see you've had a couple of really good races......well done!

    Chat soon.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete