Tuesday, August 9, 2011

5 km Waterfront Race

It's not that often you get a still evening on the Wellington waterfront. Usually the best you can hope for is a moderate southerly to blow you home. That's how I managed to get my PB and then improve it. Tonight the conditions were perfect. No wind at all to be detected at the start of the race (There was a light northerly coming home). You've got to give it your best shot in these conditions - it could be a long time before you get this chance again.

Tim who finishes well ahead of everyone else decided to run tonight so the only walker in front of me was John. I managed to stay within 10m of him but I knew he did a half marathon on the weekend so didn't want to assume he was managing his normal speed. I was sure that he sped up a bit when he realised that I was so close.

I forgot to check my watch at half way but did so about 150m later at around 15:07. It was hard to see in the half light. The first runners usually pass me well before Freyberg pool but not tonight. I was outside the yacht club when most of the pack passed me so I figured my time must be quite good. I tried to concentrate on my technique and settle into a rhythm but was working harder than I usually do. With about 30m to go I found a bit of extra speed and managed to pip John at the post although we both were given the same time of 29:30. That's a 7 sec PB for me.

I felt good after the race apart from my right Achilles which was burning about 20cm up my lower leg. I must do more strengthening exercises for this.

When I got home I found my Garmin had arrived so it's charging now ready for me to try out tomorrow. That's exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Can I book a day like this for next weekend!!!

    Great race Terri, its great to see you have gotten you fire back and are out there again.

    ReplyDelete