Tuesday, July 24, 2012

10 km Training Walk

Although it was a showery day it wasn't raining when I went out and I only felt a few drops of rain during my walk. The wind was not significant so conditions were great for walking.

I tried to concentrate on holding my back foot and pushing off that back toe. I tried to be relaxed but to keep a steady pace. I was pleased to see I was averaging 6:30 pace, about 10 sec/km faster than what I can usually achieve in training. I did make an effort to try and maintain this pace but noticed a drop off in the last km. My time for the 10 km was 65:15 for an average pace of 6:31 and average HR of 160 bpm. My heart rate did something really odd at the start, going up as high as 240. I have never seen it that high before and felt fine at the time.

10 km Training Walk

Sunday 22 July - Masters 6.4 km Road Race


The course for this race includes a steep section that is pushing the limit of my ability to maintain a legal style. It's an unjudged event but I still try to racewalk correctly. I do enjoy the fast downhill section which to some extent makes up for the steep climb.

Ian and John were close behind me on the first lap and John passed me towards the end of the steepest section. As the slope levelled out I increased my speed to regain the lead then took advantage of the downhill to pull away. After that I walked on my own apart from being passed by the runners after my second lap.

I was still recovering from my cold and my butt was a bit sore after my squash match the day before so I didn't go hard out. I finished first in a time of 41:30 with an average pace of 6:32 and an average HR of 160 bpm.  Along with Barbara and Ian we were the first club team and each received a beanie to go along with my bottle of wine for winning.

We enjoyed a chat and a hot lunch in the Olympic clubrooms whilst waiting for the prizegiving.

Wellington Masters 6.4 km

Saturday 21 July - Cancelled training


My squash team were playing a couple of ties this weekend to select a team to represent our district in the national D grade teams competition in September. I was not scheduled to play since I am not a first choice player for the team. Unfortunately our number two player was injured on Friday night and by late morning on Saturday decided she would not be able to play that day.

I got a phone call just as we arrived at the Newtown Park track where I planned to do 3 km fartlek followed by 5 x 400m. It did not make any sense to train before a squash match so I had to cancel my training session. This is one I have not done before and I was looking forward to finding out how I would go. Fortunately it is in my programme for next week so I will still get to give it a try.

Luckily my team mates had the squash tie sewn up before I took the court so the outcome of my match mattered only to my grading. I put up a reasonable performance but lost in 3 sets. Now that the team is off to nationals in Hamilton on 12 - 16 September I will need to fit in at least 3 squash sessions a week.

I didn't get to do my 6 x 1 km on Friday due to pressures of work so I'm hoping to squeeze that into my 'easy' week next week.

Wednesday 18 July - 12 km Training Walk


This session was meant to include 2 x 5 min at 20 km pace but I was just recovering from my sore throat and had not been sleeping well so decided completing 12 km would be effort enough. I took the first three days of the week off work, something I haven't done in the past 15 years. I don't remember having a throat so sore since I was a child. Luckily it went away without me having to see a doctor or take antibiotics.

I wasn't trying to take it easy but just did what I could and the 12 km took 1:35:02 for an average pace of 7:55 and an average HR of 117. I figured I did well to complete the distance with no adverse effects. It was a lovely day and after my walk I went to the zoo with my sister and her granddaughter.

12 km Training Walk


No comments:

Post a Comment