Sunday, February 17, 2013

10 km Training Walk

My tummy was full from too much breakfast when I headed out so I got off to a slow start. There was a moderate southerly wind which meant that the wind was behind me on the return leg.

My overall pace was not great but at least it improved from the first 500m. My time for 10 km was 1:18:04 for an average pace of 7:48 and average HR 118.

10 km Training Walk

Saturday 16 February - 1500m Masters Championship

It was a warm afternoon with a moderate breeze to provide welcome cooling. I was feeling quite stiff so made sure I did around 1500 m slow warm up before doing some faster strides. I knew that I had to try and sprint for the whole distance. I wrote two sets of splits on my hand - the first set for 8:45 and the second set for 8:25. Obviously I wasn't thinking very positively since my PB is 8:23. I completed the first 300m in second place in 1:37 but was passed into third place at the 400m mark by Zara, a young junior walker. I was still on track for 8:25 after 700m but a slow third lap had put well behind that pace. My finishing time was 8:35, half way between my two estimates. It was a Wellington age group record since there was no existing record in that age group. I received two warnings but no cards. It was my first two laps that were doubtful. Clearly I have to try to establish technique before worrying about pace. My average pace was 5:45 (based on 1500m not 1.46 that the Garmin measured), average HR 160.

1500m Masters Championship

8 km Fartlek


I really wanted to complete my set training for the week so I cut my 10 km fartlek back to 8 km and did an easy first 500m. This walk was not very long after having a late lunch and I was happy with what I achieved.
My time was 55:44 for an average pace of 6:58 and average HR 143.

8 km Fartlek

Thursday 14 February - 15 km Training Walk


I went out after work but wanted to finish in time for a Valentine's Day dinner with Philip. Once again I made a slow start but I did manage to pick up my pace for a reasonable time overall.  The 15 km took 1:45:08 at a pace of 7:10 and average HR 136 bpm.

15 km Training Walk

Tuesday 12 February - 2 x 2 km + 4 x 500m


Often I approach this speed sessions with a sense that I may not manage anything close to a sprint pace. I figure that even if I don't do better than 6:30 min/km at least it would be better than most of my training sessions. I had forgotten to put my Garmin in my bag but decided that was no excuse - I would use the 500m markers on the waterfront and my stopwatch. I don't think the markers are individually accurate but over a longer distance they are not too far out. I took 2 minute rests after the 2 km legs and about 1:10 after the 500m legs.

My splits were 12:11, 12:19, 2:53, 2:57, 3:00, 3:17.

The time for 6 km was 36:37 for an average pace of 6:06.

No comments:

Post a Comment