Tuesday, May 1, 2012

8 km Fartlek

I wasn't sure what training I would do today. If the rain had continued I planned to do the longer walk wearing my raincoat but it was fine so it made sense to have a speed session. My route is about 4.5 km long so there wasn't much room for a warm-up. I started before I felt ready and was shocked to see what my heart rate was up to at the end of the first km.  I was feeling a bit of cardio stress so I thought the figure of over 200 bpm might be correct. I'm a bit concerned to see a max heart rate of 246 but I didn't actually feel particularly stressed.

I put the slow first km done to the lack of warm up and was pleased to see a 2:52 for my next fast 500 m. I didn't hear my watch signal the start of the next fast 500 m so my third km was slow. When I turned around at half way I realised just how strong the wind was. My fast legs were increased to 3:05 but I was pleased with my overall time of 51:07 for 8 km especially considering my glutes were sore after my squash coaching yesterday which involved heaps of lunging.

8 km Fartlek

No comments:

Post a Comment