Sunday, May 20, 2012

Eikeden Relay - leg 5 - 7.5 km

It was a beautiful day without a cloud in the sky. Our team, 'Scottish A' started off in fourth place but moved up to second after Natasha's leg. We were about 1:10 under our estimated time before Peter started but he exceeded expectations and put us 1:20 up. Alana did a great 10 km walk, also bettering the estimate.

I wasn't feeling great before I started but was pleased with my first lap which was under 6 min/km.  I knew I was slowing but thought the 30:08 5 km was a good effort. It's my second best time for a judged 5 km and there were no cards or warnings at this stage.  My glutes were tiring but I pushed on and was a little concerned when the bell didn't ring at the end of the next lap. Fortunately I could see Natasha getting ready when I drew level with the start finish line and Alana confirmed that I was on my last lap. Thanks goodness!

I had hoped to average near 6:00/km but managed only 6:08. I could not be disappointed though since there were no cards and no official warnings (one judge had mentioned that my knees were beginning to soften). For the last two years I have been sinned binned for receiving more than two cards. It's great to be no longer a sinner!

Philip took some film very near the end of my last lap which I hope to put up here tonight. I was tiring so it wasn't my best but it still shows a big improvement in my technique.

Eikeden Relay - 7.5 km

No comments:

Post a Comment