Tuesday, May 8, 2012

10 km Kickdown

My plan was to do the following average speeds: 7:20, 7:00, 6:40, 6:20. There was a reasonably strong tail wind for most of the outward leg so I knew I would have to work hard even to maintain speed on the return leg. I knew after 500 m that I had started too fast but I thought 7:00 min / km was okay if I reduced by 10 - 15 sec each split. Unfortunately the wind was strongest on my second split so that was much faster than I wanted with minimal effort. I tried to sprint the third leg into the wind but was 9 seconds slower than the previous one and did manage a modest increase on the fourth leg.

This is only the second time I've attempted this workout and it's going to take quite a bit of experience to achieve the steps up in pace that it calls for.

My splits were: 17:32, 16:24. 16:33, 16:10 for average paces of 7:01, 6:37, 6:38, 6:28.  Average pace overall 6:40, average HR 152 bpm

10 km Kickdown

Sunday 6 May - Relay Race and Training

My programme called for a 15 km walk today. This was achieved by a 1.5 km warm-up, 4 km relay leg then a 9.5 km training walk later in the day. Our team of Peter, Robyn and me won the walking race. The cup has only one club name on it - Scottish has won it for something like 8 years in a row.

It was a beautiful day and Philip and I really enjoyed our walk along the Petone esplanade and the Hutt river in the afternoon.

1.5 km Warm-upMasters Relay9.5 km Training Walk

Saturday 5 May - 3 x 2 km with 3 min rest intervals

I was feeling a bit jaded today, possibly due to playing squash in the morning, and I had too much lunch before our 2 pm club walk.  It was the club's annual visit to Karori but none of the other walkers were interested in joining me at Karori Park for sprints. Why could that be?

There is a boundary track to the park that is around 1 km. I did one lap to warm up then made a start on the sprints. The track is not flat but I have managed 5:45/km here in the past. The speed this day was nothing like that but I did try. My splits were 14:16, 13:10, 14:32.

3 x 2 km with 3 min rest intervals

No comments:

Post a Comment