Sunday, April 29, 2012

15 km Training Walk

I needed to finish my training early today to allow time to help my son Julian with his Business Analysis assignment which is due tomorrow. I managed to get out the door and drove down to the start of my walk before 9:00 am. There were gale force warnings in place for Wellington, some of which I experienced in the return leg. I remembered to wear the wide belt around my hips today. This made me feel quite hobbled but I think it did improve my technique. My glutes were pretty sore after this walk! Thank goodness for a hot bath and a great massage from my very supportive husband.

My speed was not great (1:56:38 - 7:45/km with average HR 124 bpm) but I did manage to hold my technique for 15 km despite the strong wind. I am confident that the pace will pick up as the muscles become conditioned.

15 km Training Walk

Saturday 28 April - 10 km Training Walk

My programme had a 6 km walk today. The plan was to do this on the club walk at 9:00 am but the rain was off-putting and was expected to clear later in the day. I had a squash training session at 11:00 am with my daughter, Hannah, who gave me some great tips then we drove into town after lunch.  Hannah headed of jogging with Philip and I walking behind. I caught up with Hannah after 4 km. She started walking so she didn't get too far ahead. She jogged slowly with me for the next km until we reached the cafe that was our destination.  After coffee and cake Hannah was getting restless so we walked back to get the car while Philip read the paper. The pace was so that Hannah could walk with me but I did maintain a race-walking technique. We agreed to speed up for the last km so that I completed 6 km at a reasonable pace.

10 km Training Walk

Friday 27 April - 4 x 1 km sprints

When I checked my programme before going out I was pleased to see that Jim had specified just 4 km. I expected it to be 5 km but my right hamstring was sore and I was glad for the lighter work load. My watch took a while to find the satellites which gave me plenty of time for a good warm up. The first 2 km was pretty much into the wind, meaning the return legs has more of a tail wind. I was delighted to average 5:59 but feel I should be aiming for at least 5:45.  My times were: 5:59, 6:06, 5:55, 5:54

4 x 1 km with 2 min rest

Wednesday 25 April - 10 km Training Walk

Having spent the ANZAC holiday morning helping my son on a university assignment I was ready to get out for some exercise. We decided to walk into town and to take the train home afterwards. I finally remembered to look out the wide belt that Jim suggested I should wear to achieve a forward hip movement rather than sideways. This does seem to slow me down but I will persevere with it. The weather was fine and I enjoyed the great harbour view as we came down the hill from Khandallah. Average pace 7:15, average HR 135 bpm.

10 km Training Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment