Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hello from Melbourne

Neither Philip nor I slept much on Friday night knowing the alarm was set for 3:30 am so that we could get to the airport before the 4:30 am check-in deadline. I got up at about 1:30 am and pottered around in the kitchen for 30 mins or so, went back to bed for an hour then we both got up at about 3. Our son Julian kindly came over and stayed the night so he could drive the car back from the airport. I hope he didn't get stopped driving within the kerfew time - he's not meant to drive until after 5:00 am. I have been on at him about getting his full licence!

We requested to be billeted for the Masters Champs and were put in touch with Allan Woods who not only was happy for us to stay will him the whole 10 days but also offered to meet us at the airport. We took a while to clear customs and it was a great relief to see Allan with our names written on a sheet of paper. On seeing all the faces when we came through the door I wondered how we would pick him out.

We couldn't have a more helpful host and are enjoying getting to know one of the locals. Allan competes in the running sprint races in the M70 division. He coaches basketball, teaches a class similar to the modified Tai Chi that Phlip teaches and also plays music. He and Phlip have a lot in common!

Saturday 31 March - 7.5 km Training Walk

I haven't managed to follow my programme very well this week and really should have done the session of 3 km fartlek + 5 x 400 m. My legs had been feeling very tight and by the time we went out for a walk my body felt like the time was about 10:00 pm even though our watches said 5:00 pm. I decided that sprints were not a good idea. We did a very gentle walk in the direction of the railway station to gain our bearings and stretch out a bit. We averaged around 8:45 per km but did feel a lot better after some exercise and a shower. Needless to say I was in bed by 8:00 and had a great sleep.

Friday 30 March - 10 km Training Walk

This was meant to be 15 km but I didn't get out until after 4:30 pm since I needed to finish things off at work in preparation for being away. I hadn't started packing and couldn't afford to be too late home so 10 km was all I had time for. My legs were even tighter than the previous day and didn't loosen up as much so I was not able to go at the pace I wanted. I completed the 10 km in 1:12 for an average pace of 7:12 and average HR of 130 bpm.

No comments:

Post a Comment