Tuesday, January 15, 2013

5 km Waterfront Run - Crosstraining

I want to support the 5 km race series but it does not fit in well with my training programme which needs a greater distance. I have finally figured out that the solution is to run the race as my cross training for the week.

My PB for the 5 km run is just under 24 mins which I achieved several years ago, not long after I started on a proper training programme for my walking. I didn't expect to get near that today, especially after a long, hard walk yesterday, but had hoped to go around 26 mins. My result of 26:23 wasn't far off that and was quite pleasing.

The km breakdowns were 5:12, 5:11, 5:25, 5:27, 5:09. The Garmin measured the course as 50 m short so the last km wasn't as fast as it seems. Average pace 5:19, average HR 161.

5 km Waterfront Run

Monday 14 January - 20 km Training Walk


We opted to drive to Masterton for a vineyard concert on Sunday and I wanted to fit the missed long walk in early in the week. It had rained heavily for most of the day but did seem to clear later in the afternnon. Unfortunately by the time I was ready to go out the rain had returned so I popped on my raincoat and went out anyway.  There was a blustery wind but not as bad as it has been recently.

I decided to head the opposite direction from home for 6.5 km then turn and walk all the way home, even though this involves going up hills too steep for racewalking.  I was averaging about 7:30 pace for the first 16 km but was no where near this on the hill.  I debated which route to take home and opted fro the shorter but steeper one which meant that I may end up quite a bit short of 20 km. I walked an extra block to ensure that I wasn't short and ended up over 20.5 km instead!

Average pace 8:09, average HR 130 bpm.

20 km Training Walk

Saturday 12 January - 3 km, 2 km, 3 x 1 km


It was pretty windy on Saturday (and sunny) but we had a family game of tennis doubles for about an hour in the morning. It's something we don't do that often and it was fun despite the conditions.

After that I hurriedly cooked the others some lunch then headed out to Trentham where a race had been organised since the track is not ready yet.  The distance hadn't been decided so I said that 3 km suited me since I could continue with the rest of my sprints afterwards. The others were happy with this, possibly since it was the first race after the holiday period.

It was good to have Stuart to lead the race out. I was a little surprised to find he didn't get that far ahead of me and I was even gaining on him in the last lap.  I completed the first 3 km in 18:23 on the measured course of 500 m laps although the Garmin records this as 18:47.  After a 2 min break I headed out for the 2 km whilst the last two walkers were finishing. My time was 12 :37.  This time I had a 3 min break in order to get some directions about where to go for afternoon tea - most important since I hadn't had lunch and was hungry!

The others packed up and left when I started my 1 km repeats. Once the cones disappeared I had to use the Garmin to measure the distance which means I was probably going more than 1 km since it is not accurate on short laps.  I was feeling the effects of too much relaxation and not enough training over the past few weeks so my 1 km times were not good: 6:42, 6:39, 6:47.

Overall average pace 6:27, average HR 156. After taking one wrong turn I found the right street but initially knocked on the wrong door before finding Robyn and Geoff's place. The tea and muffins hit the right spot!

3 km, 2 km and 3 x 1km

No comments:

Post a Comment