Monday, March 26, 2012

My races at Nationals

Sunday 25 March - 20 km Road Walk

It was pouring with rain about half an hour before the start of the race but by the time I started warming up that had stopped and conditions were pretty good. I was trying hard to make the adjustments to my style that Jim suggested and to try and settle into a relaxed rhythm. I was a lot slower than in the Wellington 20 km, possible due to the 3 km race only two days earlier. My first card appeared at around 7 km and the second card a lap later. I was very pleased to start each lap after that knowing that the probability of being pulled off was high. After 13 km Jim made the comment that if the judges were happy with me so far I should be okay as long as I held my form. Unfortunately that was not to be and I was pulled out just before reaching the 14 km mark. I felt the least disappointed I have ever been after a DQ, taking a lot of positives from getting so far and now having an understanding of what needs to be done to get my technique right.


Friday 23 March - 3 km Track Race

Jim stopped me about four steps into my warm up to try and correct the swinging movement in my right hip. I tried to make the necessary adjustments to my technique but I am challenged when it comes to physical understanding and always slow to get the hang of a change in technique. I was happy to get through this race with only two red cards and to achieve a season's best time of 17:56. It was only the second time I have gone under 18 minutes and not been DQ'd.


No comments:

Post a Comment