Tuesday, March 20, 2012

5 km Waterfront Race

My programme from Jim said this should be a 5 km fartlek but my programme from the club designated this race as part of the summer competition. I'm not sure if I'm able to complete enough events to be in the running to win the competition but since I might be I wanted to do this one.

There was a strong southerly wind blowing with a light misty rain. I was surprised to find I did the first 500m into the wind in 3:02 but my next 500m was slower. The race was a fartlek of sorts since when I remembered to think about pushing off my toes my pace did pick up. Unfortunately I have to think so much about my technique that such things are forgotten at times. I rounded the halfway cone at 15:40 and decided that I would try to finish in under 31 minutes with the advantage of the wind behind me on the way back. My time was 30:52 with average HR of 152 bpm. I was almost 5 min ahead of the next walker from my club.

1 comment: