Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Catching Up

Tuesday 21 February - 5 km Waterfront Race

I really should have done about 10 km this day to complete most of what is on my program for this week but I was feeling tight and sore. The officials were officiating at the race so I wasn't sure if it would be possible for me to walk. Fortunately plenty of helpers turned up so I took the start line as usual. There was a strong northerly wind blowing which added to the difficulty I was having in getting up any speed. It was great to see Wellington's two best women walkers turn up to this race and a pity that I wasn't able to keep them in my sights.

I finished with the slowest time since injuring my ankle in 2010, 32:30, and behind young Fraser who passed me in the finishing straight for the second time in a week. I did a slow 1 km warm down after the race probably quite pleased that Philip had come to pick me up so it wasn't possible to walk any more.


Monday 20 February - walk home from work

It was really busy at work. I started early with the plan to finish at 4 pm and do a longish walk. Unfortunately it was 5:45 when I got away and I needed to get home at a reasonable time to do the autumn squash draw for the district. The best solution was to walk home to get some exercise whilst getting me where I needed to be. The route is flat for the first 3 km or so then involved climbing a large number of steps and up a slope before being able to race walk again. I probably manage around 5 km of race walking. I was still stiff and sore after the weekend so this was not a bad choice.


Sunday 19 February - 15 km Training Walk

The pace of this walk was very gentle but I was working hard and could not have managed much faster. Philip and I chose a scenic route on the south coast and enjoyed watching the kite surfers as we went along. We found it was exactly 7.5 km from the airport end of Lyall Bay to the Owhiro Bay quarry - a great 15 km route that we will use again. Average pace 7:58. (Forgot to take my HR strap)

No comments:

Post a Comment