Sunday, September 23, 2012

10 km with 2 x 6 min @ 20 km pace

It was another beautiful sunny day. I tried to get my son to run with me this morning but he didn't wake up until well after I finished. The streets were busy with people out enjoying the day.  I started out slowly but after 2 km decided to try a faster lap. I was pleased to manage that in 6:09 and did the next after turning with the wind behind me at 5 km. That was a 6:06 km. I suspect that speed is quicker than my 20 km pace. My overall pace was 6:54 and average HR 138 bpm. I was pleased with this workout after such a good effort the previous day.

10 km with 2 x 6 min @ 20 km pace

Saturday 22 September - 8 km Handicap Race

Another Personal Best

I turned up to this race an hour early so went to have a coffee and read the paper - probably not the ideal preparation for an event. My handicap had me starting last - more than 18 minutes after 86 year old Peter Tearle.  It's a big ask to catch up that sort of lead and I resigned myself to finishing at the back of the field. It was great to see 500 m times of under 3 mins coming up and before the first turn around I passed John who started a minute ahead of me. I could see Kevin and Bob in the distance and passed both of them by the 4 km mark.

Once I rounded the corner I could see Jeff, Rachel and Peter in the distance and managed to pass these three before the second turn around. Daphne and Andrea had a good lead on me and with only 1.5 km to go  it seemed unlikely I could catch them.  I passed Andrea about 500 m from the end and could see Daphne closing on the finish. I was walking well but not able make up that distance before Daphne finished.  I didn't win the cup but did win a bottle of wine for the fastest time of the day of 47.28, an average pace of 5:56.  My average HR was 168 bpm.

My programme had me walking 6 x 1 km today. I figure my times were almost as good as I would have done even with the rest intervals:
5:41, 5:40, 6:00, 5:58, 6:12, 6:04, 6:12, 5:41.

8 km Handicap Race

Thursday 20 September - 12 km Training Walk


I was meant to do 15 km kickdown today but my legs were feeling pretty tight and I wasn't confident of getting up much speed. In the morning I dropped Philip at the airport and then parked the car at the end or Oriental Parade, about a 3.5 km walk to work. I had a busy day at work so decided to do my training after work, carrying my backpack as far as the car and then carrying on. I tried to keep increasing my pace and managed quite well with the help of a tail wind on the return.

3 km average paces were: 7:29, 6:58, 6:43, 6:38. Overall pace 6:53 and average HR 138.

12 km Training Walk

Tuesday 18 September - 20 km Training Walk


I was driving back from Hamilton on Sunday when I would normally have done this walk so when Tuesday was such a beautiful day I decided to head out for a very long lunch break.

My pace wasn't as good as I wanted since my legs were feeling pretty stiff but I felt pretty comfortable and concentrated on a good technique. My average pace was 7:14 and average HR 123 bpm.

20 km Training Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment