Sunday, September 9, 2012

20 km Training Walk

I was tired from my efforts in the race yesterday and knew that my pace today would be limited. It was a fine day but with very strong north westerly winds.

The plan was for me to walk from home into town and around the bays to finish at Island Bay. That route keep the wind at my back at much as possible. Jim had encouraged me to use the hills for training so I didn't drive down to the flat before starting out.

As expected, I struggled today and only managed an average of 8:00/km with average HR 111 bpm. I was pleased when I got to the cafe at Island Bay to meet with Philip and enjoyed the soak in the spa that we called in for on our way home.

20 km Training Walk

Saturday 8 September  - Marton - Whanganui Relay Race


I was allocated the 9th lap. This is the one that support cars are not allowed to follow so I was curious to find what it was like.  After around 500m there was a long downhill that allowed me to get up a great pace.  I completed my 8.5 km with an average pace of 5:58/km, assisted greatly by the considerable downhill element.

I went on to attempt to complete the 15 km on my programme but had to get Philip to pick me up for a bathroom stop then later cut my walk short when steady rain set in.

Marton - Whanganui relay

Thursday 6 September - 3 x 2 km + 2 x 1 km with 2 min rests


Once again I was feeling tight when I went out but was pleasantly surprised with what I managed to achieve. The first two legs were in to a moderate wind so not surprisingly my pace was better coming back. I had a longer break before the last km for a bathroom stop.

My splits were: 12:11, 11:58, 11:55, 6:02, 6:00

3 x 2 km 2 x 1 km with 2 min rests

No comments:

Post a Comment