Friday, August 24, 2012

3 km Fartlek + 4 x 1 km

I was busy in meetings yesterday which meant I couldn't get out and train in the middle of the day. It was getting cold when we finished at 4:30 pm and I couldn't get myself motivated to go out.  I decided to do my sprint session today after my yoga class instead.

There was a noticeable head wind when I started walking and I struggled to get any speed going. Things improved as I warmed up and I averaged 6:12 for the 3 km. ( 6:24, 3:11 + 2:58 = 6:09, 3:12 + 2:52 = 6:04)

My heart rate had dropped to around 100 after 2 min so I started into the 1 km sprints. The first km was average, despite the rest and the tail wind. The second km was excellent but I couldn't keep that up. (6:06, 5:48, 6:16, 6:01). Overall I completed the 7 km in 42:50 for an average pace of 6:07 and an average heart rate of 150 bpm.

3 km Fartlek and 4 x 1 km

My squash team qualified to compete in the national teams competition next month so we have been doing extra training. This sport doesn't come naturally to me and I have been struggling to hit the ball properly but putting in a good effort. My back was a bit sore after training on Sunday and a bit more sore after my interclub match on Wednesday night.  It felt okay during yoga on Wednesday and today.  I figured that walking wouldn't hurt it and didn't notice any discomfort during this workout.

Almost as soon as I was back in the office it was clear that I was mistaken on this one. My afternoon was a bit uncomfortable and I ended up putting on the back brace that I had in my drawer. (I have used it a few times to limit sideways movement of my hips when out training). I now have a hot water bottle against my lower back which is quite sore.

Tuesday 22 August - 8 km Training Walk


I was trying to keep a good technique and a steady pace during this session. I was happy with my overall time of 52:41 for an average pace of 6:35 and an average heart rate of 150 bpm.

8 km Training Walk

Sunday 19 August - 10 km Training Walk


After a good race the previous day I was expecting to average around 7:30/km on this walk.  We parked the car near a favourite cafe and walked 2.5 km in one direction and back then the same in the opposite direction. I was pleased to complete the 10 km in 109:50 for an average pace of 6:59 and an average heart rate of 138 bpm.

10 km Training Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment