Sunday, August 12, 2012

15 km Training Walk

I wasn't sure how I would go today since my glute was still sore after the race and a long game of squash yesterday.  We watched the 50 km walk last night then got up early and viewed a recording of the women's 20 km walk. It's an inspiration to see the best in the world and I reckon I walked better for that.

It was fantastic to see Quentin (Rew) do a 3 minute PB in the 50 km and to finish in 30th place out of over 60 walkers.

It had rained for most of the morning but lucky for me the weather cleared and I completed about 10 km before another shower came over. I concentrated a smooth technique and tried to get more push into my back toe. My pace was better than I expected, averaging 6:45/km in the first half and 6:53 overall. I was pleased with my time of 1:43:12. (Average HR 133 bpm).

15 km Training Walk

Saturday 11 August

12 km Walk (including  5 km Turkey Trot)

The turkey trot is won by the walker whose time is closest to their estimate. No watches are allowed to be used during the event. I had a sore glute and a squash match later in the day so I didn't want to go at sprint speed.  I decided to go for an easy pace and estimated 32:07. Before long I was out in front and could not hear any of the walkers behind me. I aimed for a  relaxed and smooth technique, making an effort to ensure I was standing up tall. I tried to keep an even pace and was quite surprised to find I completed the 5 km in 31:00. That's 6:10 pace with what felt like moderate-easy effort.

An official had transported my Garmin to the finish line so I put that on and headed back towards the start. There was another 7 km to do to complete the workout I missed earlier in the week - 12 km with 2 x 5 km @ 20 km pace. It was a stunning day with a cloudless, bright-blue sky and a flat sea. The South Island's snowed-capped Kaikoura mountains were visible in the distance making the coast so beautiful. A large number of Wellingtonians were out enjoying day, including a few who decided to celebrate the day with a skinny-dip!

I had already done 31 min at 20 km pace so was not worried about pace on my return. That was just as well since my body could only manage a very sedentary average pace of 7:45. Overall the 12 km took 85:13, an average of 7:06. I did not bother with the heart rate monitor.


Friday 10 August

3 km Fartlek + 4 x 1 km

I hadn't walked for two days so I was determined to get out on Friday. I wasn't feeling in great shape so thought it would be difficult to get a sprint pace. (I was suffering from 'squash bum' after playing matches on consecutive nights). I completed the fartlek in 18:35 then walked slowly for a 4 min rest interval. So far - pretty good! My 1 km sprints started well but fatigue was setting in for the last two of them. 

Fartlek: 6:04, 3:08 + 3:00 = 6:08, 3:22 + 3:01 = 6:23
Sprints: 6:00, 6:03, 6:16, 6:18

Average pace over 7 km: 6:10 
Average HR: 151 bpm


Tuesday 8 August

5 km Waterfront Race

I was trying to meet an end-of-day deadline at work today so couldn't  take my normal two-hour lunch break to go training. I decided to make Saturday's race into my 12 km training and to do the first of the 5 km waterfront races for the 2012/13 season. 

I was feeling good this night so pushed myself a bit and was pleased to come in just under 30 min (29:58). There was a light drizzle falling but minimal wind and not many other people around - great conditions for walking.



No comments:

Post a Comment