Monday, October 8, 2012

Two longer walks

Sunday 7 October - 20 km Training Walk


I knew that it would be difficult to get a good pace on long walks two days in a row and that proved to be the case. I walked into town from home which is always slow with the uphills of the first 2 kms. The wind was blowing in the opposite direction from the previous day which meant I was walking into the wind most of the time.

There were plenty of people out enjoying the fine day. With the radio for company I maintained a steady speed and tried to concentrate on technique. I made a few stops along the way at the water fountains. I am using my glutamis medius much more than I used to and it has been getting a bit sore. I did enjoy a long hot bath when I got home.

My average pace was 7:42 and average HR 113 bpm.

20 km Training Walk

Saturday 6 October - 15 km Training Walk


This was the walk I planned for Thursday. The heaven's opened up when I was about to get changed and not long after that I received an urgent task to do at work.  We were celebrating my son's 20th birthday that night so walking after work was not an option.

Friday was a similar story and I didn't manage to get a walk in that day either. That meant I was determined to go out on Saturday. I considered trying to do the 4 x 2 km sprints then finishing off with 7 km to make up the 15 km but there was a strong wind and I wasn't feeling up to doing sprints.

I made a good effort and was pleased to average 6:53 min/km with an average HR of 138 bpm.

15 km Training Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment