Monday, October 1, 2012

Recent Training

Sunday 30 September - 24 km Training Walk

The day was fine but with a very strong blustery wind. Fortunately the wind was behind me most of the time but the slower laps indicate either hills or walking into the wind. I started out pretty slow and got into a better pace once I got down onto the flat.  It was pleasing to find I had some energy left after the 20 km point and was quite comfortable for the last 4 km. My average pace was a modest 7:31 and average HR 118 bpm.

24 km Training Walk

Saturday 29 September - Tennis Doubles and Singles 

I planned to do my final training session for the week this afternoon (3 km fartlek + 5 x 400m). I had an early start to the day when my daughter phoned at around 7 am. We arrived at tennis before 8:30 and got into our doubles match at around 8:45 am.  It was a very close match and we narrowly lost the first set, won the second set in a tie-breaker and finally managed to win the third set after around 21/2 hours.

My singles started after midday and I didn't start well. The score was 3-0 to my opponent in quick order. I lost the first set 6-6 and managed to win the second set 6-4.  The third set just wasn't going my way and I was 5-1 down and facing match points at 15-40. From there I managed to win the next 6 games to take the set and the match 7-5. After nearly 5 hours of tennis, I didn't have energy left for walking sprints.

Instead, Philip and I had a gentle stroll through the botanical gardens, enjoying the wonderful tulips, azaleas and rhododendrons.

Thursday 27 September - 10 km Training Walk

I was a bit too busy to walk at lunchtime so I went out just after 4:30 pm. I wanted to catch the 6 pm train which was a great incentive for a faster pace. I tried to remain relaxed with a good technique and never felt like I was walking hard. I was pleased with the time I achieved, 60:03 which was all at what I hope will be my 20 km pace. Average pace 6:18 min/km, average HR 150 bpm.

10 km Training Walk

No comments:

Post a Comment