Sunday, June 17, 2012

10 km Road Race - Club Champs #1

It rained heavily through Friday night and I envisaged a soggy walk on Saturday morning. There was some rain during the drive down to Upper Hutt and a shower before the start of the race.  I expected to see Alana and Natasha at this event and was disappointed to find they were not there and neither was Peter Baillie who is injured.  That meant that I took the lead in the first few steps of the race and remained in front throughout. I probably went out too hard, my watch recording the first 5 km in 29:44.  The wind came up in the second half of the race but that didn't really explain my drop off in pace.  I was pleased with my overall time but would have liked to have a more even split between the two halves. I will need to work harder on the kick-down training sessions!

There were only three judges for this event and two of those usually compete but were injured. I was shown two warnings but did not receive any cards and at the end of the race was given the judge's award for the best style. That was very pleasing given the effort I have put into improving my style but I know there is still more work to do on this.

My total time was 1:01:41, average pace 6:10, average HR 162 bpm. The next walker finished over 3 minutes behind me.

The splits from my watch were
5:45, 5:54, 6:00, 5:55, 6:10 (29:44 for 1st 5 km)
6:20, 6:14, 6:19, 6:16, 6:22 (31:31 for 2nd 5 km)
29:44 + 31:31 + 0:25 (My watch measured the course to be 10.06 km)

10 km Road Race (Club Champs #1)

No comments:

Post a Comment