Friday, May 17, 2013

An Easy Week

Tuesday 14 May - 7.5 km Run


I really should have walked this but I was pushed for time so elected to run. My left knee was feeling a bit'crunchy'and my right hamstring had been quite sore for a while but I was able to complete the 7.5 km comfortably enough. My time of 42:58 was 26 sec longer than my time on Friday. I was a little disappointed but decided that two races on the weekend followed by a squash game and fitness training on Monday night could explain the reduced performance. I had forgotten to take my Garmin to work so there is no data for this run.

I have fitted in a couple of yoga classes, two more games of sqaush and a really interesting postural patterning class but unfortunately that has meant that I have not had time for any walking. I have two 5 km legs to do in the Race Walking NZ Ekiden relay on Sunday so I think could be a good idea to have a bread and give the hamstring a chance to repair.

Sunday 12 May - Masters Relay


My club has won this three-person relay for the pas 8 or so years. The club's best walker, Peter Baillie took the starting leg. The course is about 4.3 km on a mixture of road, foot path, playing field, longer grass and bush track.

One of our teams had only one walker, 86 year old Peter Tearle, who had traveled over the hill from Masterton. Peter Baillie and I decided to do an extra lap each to make up this team. That meant that Peter would start the second lap for Peter Tearle's team whilst I was doing the second lap for our team. My biggest fear was that he would catch up with me before I finished my lap.

Fortunately I had a break of around 10 minutes before having to start my extra lap. I finished my first lap in around 25 min and the second lap in about 26.5 min for an overall pace of 6:29 min/km and average HR of 158 bpm. That's not a bad pace considering the race the previous day and the difficult terrain of this event.

Once again the Scottish team won the event. Our third walker was Geoff Ironmonger.

It was a stunning calm, sunny autumn day - somehow it always seems to be like that for this event.

Wellington Masters Relay

No comments:

Post a Comment